Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

So little miss and I were invited to a friend's house earlier this week for a play date. We were so excited, because we haven't had the chance to get together with these friends in quite some time.

As you have read, I hate to arrive anywhere empty handed, and seeing friends you haven't seen in a while is always cause for celebration, so I wanted to find something fun to bring. I knew I wanted to do something with bananas, and I love the combination of bananas and peanut butter, so I started my search there. So when I came across this recipe, I knew it would be a winner. First of all, you are pretty much guaranteed to love just about anything you make from that blog. Seriously. Secondly, it's muffins made with bananas, peanut butter and chocolate chips. It just had to be good.

As little miss whisked together the dry ingredients, I mashed the bananas and mixed the wet ingredients. She was fascinated by the way the brown sugar would get caught in the whisk, which made it pretty funny to watch. She did lend a hand with the banana mashing, too, but was very reluctant to let go of the whisk, so mainly stuck with that.

Once the wet and dry ingredients were gently folded together, it was time to add the chocolate chips, a task that little miss took very seriously. The first thing that she wanted to do was to count the chocolate chips. Mostly to know how many extras would be available for taste testing. As if the recipe calls for a specific number of chips, rather than a measurement... but, again, it was super fun to watch. And she did manage to taste test a chip or two...

The batter came together really quickly, and was soon divided into the muffin tin, ready to go into the oven. The recipe calls for the batter to be evenly distributed among the 12 cups of the muffin tin. This made for some very generously filled muffin cups (and, in fact, left enough extra batter for an extra mini-cake-sized muffin, guaranteeing that daddy would get a taste, too - score!).

Once these went into the oven, little miss and I got ourselves ready for our playdate. The smell of these cooking was definitely motivation enough for little miss to pick out her clothes, get dressed, and even help me straighten up the livig room, waiting for the timer to beep.

When these came out of the oven, we were both really excited. They rose beautifully, had really great color and smelled fantastic. We couldn't wait to share them with our friends.

And let me say, they did not disappoint. They were so good that I actually considered making a second batch this morning... I refrained, but only because I already had plans for the oven that I knew I shouldn't push off. But I can guarantee that these will be made again in the very near future.



Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
(from Noble Pig)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2-3 large, ripe bananas, mashed - enough for 1 1/4 cups mashed banana
1 cup milk
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. If using cupcake liners, spray those, too. Note that this recipe makes 18 muffins.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon to combine.
In another mixing bowl, combine mashed banana, milk, peanut butter, egg, oil and vanilla and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the combined dry ingredients and mix together just enough to combine. Fold in chocolate chips.
Fill sprayed muffin tin, filling each well 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails