Monday, April 9, 2012

Blueberry-Strawberry Pie

Earlier this week, we had quiche for dinner. 

No, this post isn't about quiche.

But when I made the pie crust for the quiche, I used the whole recipe. Which makes enough dough for a double crust. Which means that I had enough pastry left for another single-crust pie.

And I had no idea what I wanted to make.

So I went to the produce stand, hoping for some inspiration.

Inspiration hit in the form of berries. Beautiful, early season, decently priced blueberries and strawberries. Yum.

Now, there are lots of recipes for berry pies out there, some with one crust, some with two, some in which the fruit is cooked, some in which it isn't.  After looking through several (and by several, I mean LOTS), I decided that I liked the sound of this one (I mean, it's called Topless Blueberry Pie - a name that fun to say, it has to be yummy, right??), and decided to adapt it to include strawberries.

I started by mixing together water, sugar, cornstarch, a pinch of salt, and some of the blueberries together in a saucepan, and got everything started cooking.


As the mixture cooked, I slowly added more berries, alternating between more blueberries and some diced strawberries.



And as it cooked, it thickened and turned an absolutely beautiful color.



And once everything was done, I poured it into my pre-cooked (blind baked) pie crust.



(See how flaky it is?? Love this pie crust.) 


The I popped the pie into the fridge to chill fully, and waited until it was time for dessert.


And let me just say, it was worth the wait.



Everyone loved it. The filling held together really well, and the berries were delicious and fresh.


And with a touch of whipped cream on top?




Perfect.






Blueberry-Strawberry Pie
(slightly adapted from allrecipes)



  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 pound fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 pound fresh strawberries, diced
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked (I used half of this recipe, blind baked)

  • In a saucepan, combine water, sugar, cornstarch and salt. 
  • Stir in 1 cup of blueberries. Cook and stir over medium heat, until thick, approximately 8 to 10 minutes, adding in more berries every couple of minutes, until they are all incorporated.
  • Add butter and let cool about 5 minutes.
  • Pour into baked pie shell and cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 to 4 hours.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times...I come on your blog with a sense of dread. I am always hungry and salivating when I leave. No fair!

    Looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails