Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Roasted Strawberry Banana Brown Butter Pancakes

Ever have one of those days? You know, those days where you get up on the wrong side of the bed and have serious trouble finding your way to the right one?

Today has been one of those days.

I knew it would be the second my alarm went off. Way earlier than it was supposed to. And my alarm doesn't have a snooze button. Bopping a 17-month old on the head, aside from being frowned upon, probably wouldn't make it stop making noise for 9 minutes...

So yeah... woke up early, and had a long morning.

So I decided I'd try to make something extra special for breakfast to break the funk.

My friend Jenni (you know her by now!) sent me a link to this awesome looking recipe a couple weeks ago. I pinned it, and have been trying to figure out when to make it.

Then I saw that she'd posted her version of it this morning.

So I decided that today would be the day I try my version.

Rather than roasting strawberries in olive oil as the original calls for (umm... yum??), I added bananas to the mix.


And tossed them with butter and brown sugar.




While those sat in a 375 degree oven doing their thing, I started browning my butter on the stovetop.  Browning butter isn't difficult, but it does require close attention.  If you look closely on the right side, you can see that my little alarm clock was keeping himself nice and busy while I watched the pot.


Yeah. Kept himself busy pulling out all of our trash bags. One. By. One.



But, once I got those put away, the butter was nutty and brown and my fruit was bubbly and delicious looking.



While the fruit and butter cooled, I prepared the rest of my ingredients - one bowl for the dry, the wet in the measuring cup.



And then it was time to combine everything together. The original recipe says to add only 1/4 of the roasted fruit to the pancake batter, reserving the rest as syrup for topping them when they are cooked. Jenni added all of hers, and I did the same, thinking that it would make them more flavorful, and also that it would thin the batter enough that I wouldn't need to add extra milk.



Well, the batter was still pretty thick, but I decided to go ahead and see how they cooked up...



Umm... yeah, they had a little difficulty cooking up with batter that thick.


So I added more milk until I had a better consistency, and had much more success.


With a little maple syrup...



These were delicious.




Just a little ambitious for one of "those" days.


I will definitely be making these again, but probably on a weekend next time!




Roasted Strawberry Banana Brown Butter Pancakes
(inspired by The Gingered Whisk, from How Sweet It Is)


1 cup strawberries, roughly cut
1 large banana, cut into 1/2" chunks
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar


1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten

1-1 1/4 cups milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss cut strawberries and bananas with butter and brown sugar in a small casserole dish.  Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until juicy and caramely. While the fruit is roasting, heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk constantly until brown bits form on the bottom, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl (or right in your measuring cup), whisk together 1 cup milk, egg and vanilla extract. Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing until just combined, then stir in brown butter (get all the brown bits from the pan!) and the roasted fruit. If batter isn’t smooth or is too thick, add additional milk. (The fruit will add liquid to the batter so you may need to add a little more milk if needed, based on your fruit. Be prepared to add more milk.)
Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add a bit of butter to the griddle and using a 1/4 cup measure, pour batter into pan. Cook until bubbles form on top, then flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Top with remaining roasted strawberries and syrup.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I saw these on HOw Sweet, and drooled all over myself lol NOw I'm drooling again..yours look SO good. Glad you tried them first so I can use your tip about thinning the batter. Love the addition of the bananas! Brown butter is sheer heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love this post! Not every day is perfect in the life of a stay at home mom food blogger, but at least you can always make good food!! :) Your pancakes look great! I thought they needed thinning out, too (I like mine super thin). Good idea about roasting bananas in there, too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails