Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Roasted Asparagus

What? A non-challenge related post this month? Wow!

Sorry that it has been so long since I have had one of these. Things have been super busy.

But I made a veggie side dish yesterday that was so fresh and easy yet delicious that I just had to share.

Asparagus was on sale this week, so we picked some up.  Now, I usually either boil or steam my asparagus. A pat of butter on top and there you go. But I didn't want to do that this time. I wanted to try something new. Well, not that it's new, I'm sure people do this all over the place all the time. But I hadn't.  I wanted our asparagus roasted.

The preparation was simple - toss the asparagus with some olive oil, season as desired (I did a sprinkle of garlic powder and a pinch of salt) and spread out on a baking sheet.


Twenty minutes later (shaking the pan halfway through), and you're done!


I actually love this so much more than the old steamed or boiled asparagus. It was cooked beautifully, but so much more flavorful.  It made the perfect, fresh side to our dinner.


Roasted is totally the way to go for veggies!


Roasted Asparagus

1 bunch of asparagus (mine had about 15 spears)
Extra virgin olive oil (about 1-2 tablespoons)
Seasonings to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
Wash the asparagus and trim the hard ends. Spread the cleaned spears on the prepared baking sheet.
Drizzle olive oil on the asparagus and sprinkle with seasonings of your choice. Toss (by hand) to coat evenly, redistributing the spears evenly on the pan.
Roast for 10 minutes, then give the pan a little shake/toss and roast for an additional 10 minutes, cooking for 20 minutes total.
Serve and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Agreed! I grew up thinking I hated brussel sprouts, and then at some point Nathan decided to start roasting them and OH MY GOD, who knew they're delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails